Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Limit

At times, some people respond is like this: “Hello, may I speak to ABC please?”... “He’s not here.” I never have a comeback for that line!! What does ‘he’s not here’ mean? Did the guy die? Did he disappear? Did he vaporize into thin air? Why don’t they tell us if they can’t be disturbed? At least we get the idea that he may be busy. They could at least tell us as to when he may be available. I remember a certain incident where the irritation was highly suppressed by its humor. I had called my friend at a very bad time: “Hello, may I speak to ABC please?” “Who is this?” “XYZ” “Wrong number!!” It was the hardest I had ever laughed!

Then there is this other class of people who manage to ruin your day (or night) without having to say a single word. They do it by ringing you at the exact time you least wish to disturbed: while in the bath, in between meals, while watching the news and the worst of all- in the middle of a nap. It doesn’t matter how many times you tell them, they just never care.

I remember a certain stage...a time where I wished I was dead, or better...shoot them dead! There used to be constant calls with a gap of nearly 3 minutes in between each. Whenever I picked up the phone, it would start beeping. The damn thing would never stop! i thought it was a practical joke... Later on, I learned that it was a fax. Two weeks after this started, a human would respond in every 7th call, saying: "Sir, Please turn on your fax machine, we are sending the CVs that You requested". I keep telling them that this is a residence number but it fails to sink into their abnormally thick heads. It was some company from Jordan. It stopped nearly two months later. Another company from Jordan was only glad to take over the vacancy!!

What drives people to behave in this manner? Can’t they take four seconds to reveal their identity? Is it so hard to make out that we ask for the person’s name by ‘who are you?’? Are they so dim as not to be able to realize that they are being a perfect cad by calling us and asking who we are? Are they so senseless so as not to be able to take a hint when we do not answer the phone even after five rings? Why are the people so self-centered? I believe that during a conversation a person is certainly expected to fulfill the other person’s requirements too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! Real Nice!!!! a very creative humourical taking at 1 of very common day 2 day dealings!!!!! good!!!!! i do hve sm similar xperiences concerni with my Dad's calls!!!! the caller always cuts the line wen i ask who dey r......sm dont even bother 2 say hello if ny1 other than my dad picks up!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like your sense of observation and alertness. Your a genius in the making perhaps ;). Keep the humour on.